Parkinson's Oxford and DistrictParkinson's UK
▲ Top of page ▲

Financial support if you have not yet reached State retirement age

Adult Care Needs assessment

You have the right to an assessment, no matter what your ability is to pay for the care you may need. If you need help due to:

  • Frailty because of old age
  • A short-term illness or injury
  • Permanent, substantial physical disabilities

You can request an assessment through the Adult Social Care Team. Telephone 0345 050 7666 and choose the Adult Services option, or apply online:

DWP information on Working Age benefits

Statutory Sick Pay

Jobseeker’s Allowance

Universal Credit

Employment Support Allowance (Income and contribution based)

Carer’s Allowance

Note that different rules apply for Carer’s Allowance depending on whether you are older or younger than State Pension age.

Carer’s Credit

If you are of working age and you have caring responsibilities for more than 20 hours per week, you may be entitled to Carer’s Credit which tops up your National Insurance contributions, preserving your levels of State Pension. See

Personal Independence Payment

Don’t forget that Personal Independence Payment (PIP) may be available to people of working age:

Parkinson’s UK information on working age benefits provides information on:

  • Statutory Sick Pay
  • Jobseekers allowance
  • Employment Support Allowance
  • Universal credit
Parkinson’s UK information on PIP

Extensive help with applying for Personal Independence Payment (PIP):

Financial support for respite care

Carers sometimes need a break. We can help, with financial grants towards the cost of respite care.

Information and application form